Robert T. Burks, MDOrthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Robert Burks, Professor, specializing in the field of sports medicine and shoulder surgery. His practice focuses on injuries to and degenerative conditions of the shoulder and knee. Dr. Burks graduated from St. Louis University School of Medicine in 1978. He completed his orthopedic residency at the University of California at San Diego and subsequently did a sports medicine fellowship with Dr. Dale Daniel, MD, in 1983. From 1983 to 1986 Dr. Burks was in private practice in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1986 Dr. Burks moved to Wayne State University as director of sports medicine. In the fall of 1988 he joined the University of Utah, Department of Orthopaedics, and has been head of sports medicine since 1992. Dr. Burks practices at the University of Utah Orthopaedic Center and is in clinic on Monday and Thursday.
For more information please visit www.robertburksmd.com
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Montanez A, Makarewich CA, Burks RT, Henninger HB (2016). The Medial Stitch in Transosseous-Equivalent Rotator Cuff Repair: Vertical or Horizontal Mattress? Am J Sports Med, 44(9), 2225-30.
- Swenson JD, Davis JJ, Stream JO, Crim JR, Burks RT, Greis PE (2015). Local anesthetic injection deep to the fascia iliaca at the level of the inguinal ligament: the pattern of distribution and effects on the obturator nerve. J Clin Anesth, 27(8), 652-7.
- Tashjian RZ, Burks RT, Zhang Y, Henninger HB (2015). Reverse total shoulder arthroplasty: a biomechanical evaluation of humeral and glenosphere hardware configuration. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 24(3), e68-77.
- Wylie JD, Crim JR, Working ZM, Schmidt RL, Burks RT (2015). Physician provider type influences utilization and diagnostic utility of magnetic resonance imaging of the knee. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 97(1), 56-62.
- Kullar RS, Reagan JM, Kolz CW, Burks RT, Henninger HB (2015). Suture placement near the musculotendinous junction in the supraspinatus: implications for rotator cuff repair. Am J Sports Med, 43(1), 57-62.
- Erickson GA, Burks RT (2016). Biceps Tenodesis: Arthroscopic Considerations and Fixation Options. In Abrams JS, Bell RH, Tokish JM (Eds.), Advanced Reconstruction: Shoulder 2 (2, pp. 201-211). Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Burks RT, Judd RJ (2016). Arthroscopic Single-Row Rotator Cuff Repair. In Ryu KN, Angelo RL, Abrams JS (Eds.), The Shoulder (Chapter 5, pp. 49-60). Thorofare, NJ: SLACK Incorporated.
- Reagan J, Kullar R, Burks R (1/1/2015). MPFL Reconstruction: Technique and Results. [Video]. Orthopedic Clinics of North America.